Arthritis is a common condition that affects many dogs, causing pain and discomfort. While there are a variety of medications available to help manage the symptoms of arthritis, many pet owners are looking for natural alternatives. Fortunately, there are several natural joint supplements for dogs that can be used to help reduce the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis in dogs. In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the most effective natural joint supplements for dogs that can be given to your dog to help manage their arthritis.
Understanding Arthritis in Dogs
Before discussing specific supplements, it is important to understand what arthritis is and how it affects your dog. Arthritis is a degenerative joint disease that causes inflammation and pain in the joints. It can affect any joint in the body but is most commonly seen in the stifles, hips, elbows, and shoulders. Symptoms of arthritis include stiffness, difficulty moving around, limping or lameness, decreased activity level, and reluctance to jump or climb stairs.
Natural Joint Supplements for Dogs with Arthritis
There are several natural joint supplements for dogs that can be used to help reduce inflammation and pain associated with arthritis in dogs. Here are some of the most effective options:
1) Glucosamine: Glucosamine is a naturally occurring compound found in healthy cartilage and joint fluid. It helps support joint health by providing building blocks for new cartilage formation and helping to reduce inflammation. Dogs need glucosamine for the synthesis of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs). These molecules are found in cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and synovial fluid. Glucosamine can be given as an oral supplement.
2) Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) have anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce swelling and pain associated with arthritis. They also support healthy skin and coat health, heart health, cognitive brain function, which may improve your dog’s overall comfort level when dealing with arthritis symptoms. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish oil or krill supplements added directly into your dog’s food as an oil or powder supplement.
3) Turmeric: Turmeric has long been used as an anti-inflammatory agent due to its active ingredient curcumin which helps reduce inflammation throughout the body including joints affected by arthritis. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that contains curcuminoids which act as an antioxidant removing damaging free radicals from joints. It can be given as an oral supplement or added directly into your dog’s food in a powder or paste form depending on their preference.
4) CBD Oil: CBD oil has become increasingly popular for its potential anti-inflammatory benefits when it comes to treating various conditions including arthritis in dogs. CBD oil works by interacting with receptors throughout the body via the endocannabinoid system which may help reduce inflammation and provide relief from the pain associated with arthritis symptoms. Use a full spectrum, organic CBD oil that contains less than 0.3% THC. In the UK CBD oil can only be prescribed to animals by a Veterinary Surgeon.
5) Boswellia serrata: Boswellia serrata, also known as Frankincense is a potent natural anti-inflammatory throughout the body and especially in arthritic joints. The anti-inflammatory properties of the gum resin are attributed to the presence of Boswellic acids. Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs are routinely used for arthritis in dogs but they can damage the articular in joints, and cause glycosaminoglycan degradation and gut problems. However, Boswellia serrata supports the articular cartilage in joints and it has been proven to be extremely safe for dogs. It can be given as a tablet, or a powder added to your dog’s food.
Arthritis is a common condition that affects many dogs causing pain and discomfort but there are several natural joint supplements available that may help provide relief from symptoms associated with this condition such as glucosamine, omega-3 fatty acids, turmeric, CBD oil, and Boswellia serrata when administered under veterinary supervision. JP Holistic Nutrition has formulated two natural joint supplements for dogs containing the above natural supplements except for CBD oil.
Dr. Paul Boland BVSc MRCVS
JP Holistic Nutrition